These are some seriously good chicken tacos. Last Spring, after returning to work and being a bit frantic juggling life with baby, having several family emergencies, including out of town travel, these tacos became my happy place. A dear friend saw our little family floundering and stepped in to cook us one of the best dinners I have ever had. These chicken tacos, complete with all the fixings and warm straight from her oven corn tortillas. I will always be greatful for her servant's heart when I indulge in my new favorite meal. So after begging for the recipe and tweaking it a bit to fit our family, per her recommendations, here it is:
- mix together tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and sugar.
- heat oil in large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat
- once the oil is nice and hot, add the whole chicken breasts, cooking until light golden brown on both sides
- add the tomato sauce mix from the first step to pan and bring to a boil
- lower heat, cover, and simmer, about 20 minutes or until until cooked through. if the sauce does not cover the chicken breasts, flip once mid way through
- transfer chicken to cutting board and shred
- transfer chicken back to pan, mixing to combine
- continue to cook while you prep the toppings, about 10 minutes
- be sure to serve in warm corn totillas, my favorite!